In a recent post, “What is Life Balance?”, I talked about the definitions of balance and how we create it. Life balance is unique to each person. In this post I want to talk about priorities and how they can help find balance. Priorities is the fact or condition of being regarded or treated as more important. Part of what makes life balance unique is our priorities, what our priorities need of us, and how much we are willing to give. Each person’s number of priorities is different I have eight top priorities. Some take more time than others. But each of my priorities takes a part of my everyday life. That is why we need to create balance. Life can become more stressful and overwhelming if we don’t give the time each needs. So, lets review my priorities and how much time I think each one needs.
- God: I am a Christian, a woman of God. I try to always remember that God is with me always. Each morning I spend at least thirty minutes on a daily devotion and praying. Every evening I spend about another half hour with God. Reading his word and praying. Evening is my favorite time because everyone in my house is asleep, so it is just God and I.
- My Husband: My husband works so hard for us. I do my best to help him to help him with anything he needs. I get coffee going for him in the mornings. I try to cook our meals or as many as I can (but he is a much better cook than I am).
- My Kids: I love my kids! They are the light of my life. But, I have four of them and they take up most of my time. and some times my nights. Each of my kids require a different amount of my time. My son is the oldest and needs the least amount of my time. My youngest is three, freshly potty trained, and needs most of my time. We are together all day, doing chores, running errands, and playing. My two other daughters are in school full time but when they get home they need my help with homework, chores, and activities.
- This Blog: I am a stay-at-home mom. I don’t go to work everyday, like my husband. I have always hoped to turn my blog into a career but that part of my blog is not a priority. I started my blog for me, to allow my creativity to be expressed. I love writing and if I can help others in the process, that makes it even better.
- Me Time: I need time to relax and allow myself to rest so I can be ready to do it again tomorrow. I try to take one to two hours each night for myself. Some times I do my nails, coloring my hair, and most of the time I watch a movie or a tv show of my choice. Currently, I’m hooked on Hallmark movies.
- My Home: Being a stay-at-home mom, it is my job to keep the house clean and organized. It is my job to make sure chores get done by everyone. It is my job to make sure the fridge, pantry, and freezers get and stay stocked. But, to tell you the truth, I’m terrible at all of this. I’m trying to improve on it, which is why it is a priority. I should spend probably three to four hours on this to keep up on it all.
- My Health: Currently, my health doesn’t take as much of my time. My health is more of an after thought. But recently, my kids were sick. My mother-in-law offered to bring us anything we needed. I asked for a couple of things, mostly drinks like Gatorade and Propels. My mother-in-law thought that I only asked for things for my kids. She asked me what I needed because I needed to take care of myself. I need to take care of myself so that I can take care of my family. This really got me thinking, especially since I did get sick right after that. My health needs to be a priority. I need to eat healthy as much as I can. Exercise three to four times a week for at least thirty minutes.
- Sleep: The experts say that we need at least eight hours of sleep every night. Well there are not enough time in the day for me to get a full eight hours. I average between five and six hours. I try to set myself a bed time of around 11pm but some times I get caught up in a movie and/or writing a future post for my blog (like last night) Without some restful sleep I’m not always the person my priorities needs.
Knowing your priorities and why they are priorities help to create a balanced life. What are your priorities and why are they priorities? Feel free to comment some of you priorities, I’d love to hear them.